Subject: PC card modem UART problem?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Dave <djibsd@punchcutter.ML1.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/16/2003 14:43:40
Some of you may remember me as the guy who was trying
to get PPP running on his laptop.  I still haven't made
it :-(  Seems my problems may be partially hardware-related.
It's all very weird and frustrating, but I'm hanging in there :-)

So recently I found a PC card modem on sale cheap
(Actiontec or something), and I thought maybe I'd
give it a try, since there's still some possibility
that my current card modem (IBM 56K with X-Jack) might
be what's giving me trouble.

I bought the Actiontec and plugged it in, but my dmesg
tells me

   com3: ns8250 or ns16450, no fifo

Now... this thing is only 2 years old.  It claims to be
compatible with Linux, fer cryin' out loud.  There isn't
a chance in h*ll that it has such an ancient UART.
Is there?  Does someone know if this message has some
other cryptic meaning that cannot be divined from the
surface content?

Thanks,
Dave