Subject: Re: pb whem i'm logging
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/14/2003 18:43:08
On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:09:01 +0200 (CEST), guillaume meurice
<weel31@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> my problem is that after i enter my login & my passwd,
> the root window comes and contain the console, 4
> buttons (client, shudowm, checkpoint, and ...can't
> remeber the 4th) and that all.
> from this window, i can't launch any xterm (there's no
> mouse menu)

The window manager that comes with XFree86 is "twm" (which IIRC stands for
"The Window Manager").  It's reliable and free, but it's not beautiful.
At least, not to everyone.  Tastes vary; I like IceWM myself.

Also, since you're exploring, you might be suprised to learn that
Atl+Ctrl+F2 (any function key, 1-6) will take you to another console,
where you can log in.  From there, you can start any X application and
direct it to your display.  For example, if your hostname is "thelonious",
export a variable

	$ export DISPLAY=thelonious:0.0	# Bourne shell syntax
	$ oclock &

and press Atl+Ctrl+F7 to return to your X session, where you'll find a
clock.

Just to point out you're not as stuck as is might seem at first.

--jkl