Subject: Re: problems with ftp server or NAT conf?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/11/2003 11:28:04
On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:50:51AM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 03:18:17PM -0700, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> > [...]
> > But.. the '230-<new line>' chokes Firewall One systems, for example,  that
> > don't have the strict checking disabled.
> >
> > I don't know if this can be fixed on the ftp server or not, just to work
> > around some broken systems out on the net.
>
> As there is a workaround from client side (-email instead of email for passwd)
> I'm not sure it's worth it.

Well it is a bit frustrating for someone (trying) to use pkgsrc until they
finally figure out they need to set FTPANONPASS. :)
Also, clicking on a ftp://ftp.netbsd.org link in a browser is also lame until
you realize you have to hand edit the url to include anonymous:-blah.

I've only ever had this problem with ftp.netbsd.org, even though it probably
is more widespread.

But since there is a workaround and the number of affected users is not
a large percentage it is probably better to be RFC compliant than to put
in a hack for one firewall. :)

Does anyone think it might be worth a FAQ entry?  I know that the ftpd
tells you that if your client has issues you can use the '-', but the
reality of this problem is that is it something in between the client and
server that is causing the issue.

-Andrew