Subject: Re: problems with ftp server or NAT conf?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Adam Glass <adam@clarity.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/11/2003 09:28:21
I wrote:
> > Maybe try to add a '-' before your passwd (email address), it should
> > suppress the greeting banner.
>
> That works, 100% of the time.  Thank you.

One addendum to this.  The installer apparently checks to see if the
username is "ftp" and ignores the password setting if it is.  I tried
leaving the username "ftp" and setting the password to "-guest", but
I'd still get the full greeting banner (when it worked), and I'd still
get disconnected after the "230-" more than 90% of the time.  Clearly
it was not using the password I'd set.  Making the username
"anonymous" and the password "-guest" made things work: no banner,
successful FTP sessions.

This happened on both the 1.6 release ISO and on boot floppies made
from a 4/3 snapshot of 1.6.  (i386.)