Subject: Re: problems with ftp server or NAT conf?
To: Adam Glass <adam@clarity.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/10/2003 15:18:17
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 02:26:25PM -0700, Adam Glass wrote:

> When it fails, it fails immediately -- under a second.  When it works,
> it pauses after the "230-" line for approximately 2-5 seconds.
>
> I'm able to ftp to ftp.netbsd.org no problem from the NetBSD box
> that's the NAT/firewall for the network where I'm installing the
> system.  It's just from *behind* the NAT box that ftp to
> ftp.netbsd.org only works about every one in 12 tries.  That's why I
> suspected the NAT system.  But as I mentioned in my previous email,
> from the network behind the NAT box, I have experienced no trouble
> FTPing to other systems on the Internet.

Are you using PPPoE or some other sub 1500 MTU connection from the
NetBSD NAT box?  The NAT machine itself working, but the machines behind
it failing suggests MTU issues to me.

I personally don't have this problem on my home system running -current
with NAT.

But.. the '230-<new line>' chokes Firewall One systems, for example,  that
don't have the strict checking disabled.

I don't know if this can be fixed on the ftp server or not, just to work
around some broken systems out on the net.

-Andrew