Subject: Re: No source after install?
To: Frank DeChellis <frankd@iaw.on.ca>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/09/2003 18:52:17
--V4b9U9vrdWczvw78

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 12:31:26PM -0400, Frank DeChellis wrote:
>=20
> I am trying to be more self sufficient with my server admin and it's
> actually going pretty good.  I do have one server, however, that I
> built a short while ago using the auto build procedure for 1.6 and I
> can't seem to find any source code anywhere.   I can also not find any
> compile directories where my kernel may have been built, etc etc.  The
> directory displayed in uname -v does not exist.  Is there an option in
> the auto build function that allowed me to not want source code left
> on my system?

what do you mean by "auto build procedure"?  can you please explain what
exactly you did?

> I want to update my system using cvs but I keep getting all kinds of
> little error but I suspect they all stem from the fact that it can't
> find any source code anywhere.
>=20
> I know I need to run that other script because the cvs modules were
> merged back in December but I can't even do that.
>=20
> OK...if there is an option to not save source code and if I did select
> that, is there a way to put the course code there or upgrade my server
> using CVS

frankly, i have no idea what are you talking about.  if you want to
build NetBSD from cvs, you need to fetch the sources from cvs first.
e.g. (assuming that you have bourne-like shell):

 CVS_RSH=3Dssh; export CVS_RSH
 cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot checkout -P -r netbsd-1-6 src

there are no sources installed by default on your machine when you
install your system from binary sets.

> Here is the version I have right now: NetBSD 1.6 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Sep
> 8 19:43:40 UTC 2002
> autobuild@tgm.daemon.org:/autobuild/i386/OBJ/autobuild/src/sys/arch/i386/=
compile/GENERIC

this kernel was not compiled on your machine.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>                   --
--                  <salo@silcnet.org>                   --