Subject: Re: Problems with rc.conf
To: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
From: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/09/2003 15:03:02
On Wednesday, April 09, 2003, at 09:48AM, Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com> wrote:

>On tirsdag, apr 8, 2003, at 19:50 Europe/Copenhagen, Jeremy C. Reed
>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Daniel Eggert wrote:
>>
>>> I have prolems with my NetBSD server. It doesn't start all the
>>> services
>>> listen in rc.conf, even though they're set to "YES".
>>
>> Any examples?
>>
>> Show us.
>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Maybe a typo in your rc.conf.
>>

>OK. Here are some more details. Sorry for keeping them secret...
>
>Here's my rc.conf (without most comments):
>if [ -r /etc/defaults/rc.conf ]; then
>         . /etc/defaults/rc.conf
>fi
>
>rc_configured=YES
>hostname="kelvin.macvaerk.dtu.dk"
>defaultroute="130.225.92.225"
>critical_filesystems_local="/usr"
>
># security stuff
>ipsec=YES
>racoon=NO
>ipfilter=YES
>ipmon=YES
>ipmon_flags="-sn"
>kdc=YES
>sshd=YES
>saslauthd=YES
>sasl_pwcheck=YES
>
># NTP (date)
>ntpdate=YES
>ntpd=YES
>ntpd_chrootdir="/var/chroot/ntpd"
>
>apache=YES
>
>slapd=YES
>slapd_flags="-h \"ldap:/// ldaps:///\" -u slapd -g slapd"
>
># NFS
>mountd=YES
>mountd_flags=""
>rpcbind=YES
>nfs_server=YES
>nfsd_flags="-tun 8"
>
># Mail setup:
>postfix=YES
>authdaemond=YES
>courierimap=YES
>courierimaps=YES
>
>E.g. I've got mail services and nfs on my server, but after a reboot,
>some of these services didn't start. Postfix wasn't running, and
>neither was courierimap, courierimaps, apache and others.
>
>However, when I run
>
>[kelvin] /etc/rc.d# ./postfix start
>
>postfix does start, and the same goes for the others (except NFS, but
>that appears to be a differnet story).
>
>SOme other _were_ running, e.g. slapd. That leaves me wondering: Why do
>some start and others not? There's nothing in /var/log/messages.

During startup I see these (which explains some of it):

rcorder: could not open /etc/rc.d/apache: No such file or directory
rcorder: could not open /etc/rc.d/authdaemond: No such file or directory
rcorder: could not open /etc/rc.d/courierimap: No such file or directory
rcorder: could not open /etc/rc.d/courierimaps: No such file or directory
rcorder: could not open /etc/rc.d/sasl_pwcheck: No such file or directory
rcorder: could not open /etc/rc.d/saslauthd: No such file or directory

I have no idea what to make of them, though, since I all of the above are symlinks to (existing) files on my /usr partition. I've put in

critical_filesystems_local="/usr"

as I thought that would help, bit it appears not to.

Daniel