Subject: Re: Problems with rc.conf
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/09/2003 09:48:28
On tirsdag, apr 8, 2003, at 19:50 Europe/Copenhagen, Jeremy C. Reed
wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Daniel Eggert wrote:
>
>> I have prolems with my NetBSD server. It doesn't start all the
>> services
>> listen in rc.conf, even though they're set to "YES".
>
> Any examples?
>
> Show us.
>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Maybe a typo in your rc.conf.

OK. Here are some more details. Sorry for keeping them secret...

Here's my rc.conf (without most comments):
if [ -r /etc/defaults/rc.conf ]; then
         . /etc/defaults/rc.conf
fi

rc_configured=YES
hostname="kelvin.macvaerk.dtu.dk"
defaultroute="130.225.92.225"
critical_filesystems_local="/usr"

# security stuff
ipsec=YES
racoon=NO
ipfilter=YES
ipmon=YES
ipmon_flags="-sn"
kdc=YES
sshd=YES
saslauthd=YES
sasl_pwcheck=YES

# NTP (date)
ntpdate=YES
ntpd=YES
ntpd_chrootdir="/var/chroot/ntpd"

apache=YES

slapd=YES
slapd_flags="-h \"ldap:/// ldaps:///\" -u slapd -g slapd"

# NFS
mountd=YES
mountd_flags=""
rpcbind=YES
nfs_server=YES
nfsd_flags="-tun 8"

# Mail setup:
postfix=YES
authdaemond=YES
courierimap=YES
courierimaps=YES

E.g. I've got mail services and nfs on my server, but after a reboot,
some of these services didn't start. Postfix wasn't running, and
neither was courierimap, courierimaps, apache and others.

However, when I run

[kelvin] /etc/rc.d# ./postfix start

postfix does start, and the same goes for the others (except NFS, but
that appears to be a differnet story).

SOme other _were_ running, e.g. slapd. That leaves me wondering: Why do
some start and others not? There's nothing in /var/log/messages.

Daniel