Subject: Re: Probs with pppoe
To: J. Piers Hearn <endareth@spamcop.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/02/2003 22:17:37
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 09:19:32PM +1000, J. Piers Hearn wrote:
> Hey guys, just having a prob with my pppoe connection and wondering if you
> can shed some light on it.
> I sometimes get disconnections on my adsl, in such a way that it fails to
> auto-reconnect. That aside, I sometimes can't even manually reconnect. I
> would expect the following to fully reset the connection:
>
> /sbin/ifconfig pppoe0 destroy
> /sbin/ifconfig ne0 down
> (Manually reset modem here)
> /sbin/ifconfig pppoe0 create
> /sbin/ifconfig ne0 up
> /sbin/pppoectl -e ne0 pppoe0
> /sbin/pppoectl pppoe0 myauthproto=pap 'myauthname=MyLogin'
> 'myauthsecret=MyPassword' hisauthproto=none query-dns=3

You may want to add max-auth-failure=0 here.
By default it tries only 5 times. If you got deconnected, maybe you
it'll have tried 5 times before the remote end is able to accept you again.

After trying 5 times, it won't try again unless you change the login or passwd,
or set max-auth-failure (see pppoectl(8)). ifconfig destroy/create should
clear it, but maybe there's an uninitialised variable left around ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>