Subject: Re: Help on cloning network driver for compact flash Ethernet adapter (billionton)
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/02/2003 10:27:51
> I bought off ebay a compact flash Ethernet adapter that I've since
> learned is made by Billionton Taiwan.  It's their model CFLT-10N.

>                                                                  What I
> am able to obtain from my linux box cardctl info is the following:
>
> PRODID_1="CF"
> PRODID_2="10Base-Ethernet"
> PRODID_3="1.0"
> PRODID_4=""
> MANFID=0000,0000
> FUNCID=6

In summary, you need to add the correct information to pcmciadevs and
if_ne_pcmcia.c and rebuild your kernel.  See the kernel documentation at:

  http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/

for how to do that.

Looking at pcmciadevs, there is already an entry:

  product BILLIONTON LNT10TN	{ "PCMCIA", "LNT-10TN", NULL, NULL } Billionton Systems Inc. LNT-10TN NE2000 Compatible Card

with a corresponding match in if_ne_pcmcia.c:

    { PCMCIA_STR_BILLIONTON_LNT10TN,
      PCMCIA_VENDOR_INVALID, PCMCIA_PRODUCT_INVALID,
      PCMCIA_CIS_BILLIONTON_LNT10TN,
      0, -1, { 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 } },

So, if you can find out the information for this card - by adding:

  options 	PCMCIAVERBOSE

to your kernel configuration, you should be able to clone those entries with
the correct strings added.  I would guess something like:

  product BILLIONTON CFLT_10N	{ "CF", "10Base-Ethernet", NULL, NULL } Billionton Systems Inc. CFLT-10N 1.0 NE2000 Compatible Card

for pcmciadevs, and then:

    { PCMCIA_STR_BILLIONTON_CFLT_10N
      PCMCIA_VENDOR_INVALID, PCMCIA_PRODUCT_INVALID,
      PCMCIA_CIS_BILLIONTON_CFLT_10N
      0, -1, { 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 } },

for if_ne_pcmcia.c.

One final thing, you need to rebuild pcmciadevs.h and pcmciadevs_data.h
before you start a kernel build, by running:

  make -f Makefile.pcmciadevs

Hope this helps.

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/