Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/01/2003 08:29:17
Gan Uesli Starling wrote:
> Happens on idle2.2 package for python2.2 on
> one of three NetBSD machines. Have been through
> step by step using the Python debugger with much
> help from Python-help mailing list. But they can
> identify nothing amiss. The Python folks say they
> have seen no such problem on any Linux box. They
> say Idle uses only Tcl/Tk and Python. So should
> not likely seg fault.
>
> I remember that some time back when I first
> started toying with Python, I had to do it only
> on Win2K because idle would not run on ANY of the
> three NetBSD boxes. Now it runs on two but not
> the laptop which has most HD space and RAM...the
> one I need it most on.
>
> Idle will seg-fault from command line as idle2.2
> and from Python command line as PyShell.main().
> Using the Python debugger I can step through about
> a zillion clicks and watch the Tk window build and
> populate its pull-down menus. Then at the end it
> will seg fault. Every time, but only on one machine:
> the Gateway Solo. The Gateway has the same neomagic
> video chip as the ThinkPad 380Z on which idle runs
> okay.
>
> Am running NetBSD 1.6 on all three. Both the Gateway
> laptop and the Celeron tower are similarly dual-boot
> for NetBSD and Win2K with a shared data partition.
> Both the Gateway Solo and the ThinkPad 380Z have the
> same video chips and nearly identical XFree86 setups.
>
> I have mostly the same packages on all three boxes,
> the same WM, the same .cshrc, the same /etc/mk.conf.
> I have done 'make update' on python22 and idle both.
>
> Am very stumped. Anybody else seen this? Got any
> clues?

Last night I did 'make update' from pkgsrc on every
package listed as 'requires' for both python2.2 and
idle2.2. And even so, idle2.2 still crashes with a
segmentation fault and a core file.

All other packages which I use on this laptop work
without crashing just like on the other two. I run
Mozilla, Java, Nedit, Perl, etc. on this box with no
problem. The hardware is practically new as previous
difficulties in building Perl led me to buy a whole
new chassis, motherboard and all for it (Gateway
surplus for discontinuedm model). Since then, all has
gone well until this thing with idle2.2.

Hoping for clues,

Gan

--

   Mistera Sturno - Rarest Extinct Bird