Subject: Re: debugging help: nas enabled mpg123 sounds slow and scratchy?
To: Jon Trulson <jon@radscan.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/28/2003 20:17:00
On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Jon Trulson wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Scott Presnell wrote:
>
> > and for Frederick: the output of audioctl -a is below.
> >
> > I played with blocksize and hi/lowat while a 44100 sample was playing
> > intrahost, but I could only make it worse :-(

Basically, you'll want to raise hiwat and lowat together, and assuming
that "nasd" is cognizant of the 2k blocks, and sending 2k blocks,
you'll want the difference between hiwat and lowat to be exactly one.
The idea is, that after the program wakes up from select() and writes
a whole 2k block, it actually gets a breather.

> 	It seems almost like a network issue... If it works fine locally,
> but you are getting dropouts at higher bit rates when going remote, that
> does indicate that nasd just isn't getting data fast enough...

True, but I think the raw network speed should be more than adequate
for any kind of audio. If "nasd" is stuck in a tight loop writing to
the audio device, however, because the driver isn't tuned properly, it
might be dropping incoming packets on the floor.

> > name=Ensoniq AudioPCI
> > version=
> > config=eap
> > encodings=ulinear:8,mulaw:8*,alaw:8*,slinear:8*,slinear_le:16,ulinear_le:16*,slinear_be:16*,ulinear_be:16*
> > properties=full_duplex,mmap,independent
> > full_duplex=0
> > fullduplex=0
> > blocksize=2048