Subject: Re: debugging help: nas enabled mpg123 sounds slow and scratchy?
To: Scott Presnell <srp@tworoads.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/28/2003 15:22:24
On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Scott Presnell wrote:
> Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > [ On Friday, February 28, 2003 at 10:45:23 (-0800), Scott Presnell wrote: ]
> >
> >>Subject: debugging help: nas enabled mpg123 sounds slow and scratchy?

> And now, unfortunately, to add to the story...
> With some .wav files from host A to my workstation, auplay also shows
> the same poor audio quality issues...
>
> So now I'm thinking it's nasd... am I outside the expected performance
> parameters of nasd?

What kind of soundcard? Post the output of "audioctl -a", please. (I'm
curious.)

"nasd" uses the OSS emulation layer to set the audio parameters, so
it's limited to doing what the emulation layer thinks OSS would do.
That's less than optimal with some hardware. You can actually change
the numbers for "blocksize", "hiwat", and "lowat" to practically
anything, even while the audio is playing, using "audioctl -w". If you
manage to find settings that give better results, then that means it
might be productive to create a native NetBSD driver for "nasd".

Frederick