Subject: Re: debugging help: nas enabled mpg123 sounds slow and scratchy?
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Scott Presnell <srp@tworoads.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/28/2003 12:38:20
Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Friday, February 28, 2003 at 10:45:23 (-0800), Scott Presnell wrote: ]
>
>>Subject: debugging help: nas enabled mpg123 sounds slow and scratchy?
>>
>>I'm running NetBSD 1.5.2 with NAS 1.6 as compiled from the
>>NetBSD package system, and I'm trying mpg123-nas also
>>from the package system (Paul: I'll say upfront that I've
>>tried w/ and /wo your audio_nas.c patches)
>

> First off:  What CPU are you using?  How much RAM do you have?  Is your
> system paging while playing MP3s?

cpu0: Intel Pentium III (Coppermine) (686-class), 996.79 MHz
total memory = 255 MB
avail memory = 233 MB
using 3294 buffers containing 13176 KB of memory

(but this is my test machine, host A below is a PPro with 64M)

No paging.

(for later down:)
100BaseTX ethernet via HP switch. Everyone running full duplex on
fxp and ex NetBSD ethernet drivers

> Secondly:  Why are you trying to play MP3s via NAS to the same host
> you're running mpg123 and the NAS server on?  (I'm not saying that's
> wrong, or that it won't work -- I just want to know your rationale
> because unless there some reason you didn't mention clearly then why
> would you spend all those extra resources needed to do it that way?)

Path of least resistance:

The mpg123 I want to replace runs as a "service" (part of a house audio
system) but it ties up /dev/audio. I'd like to use festival on the same
audio port, but without stop/starting the mpg123 service. The easiest
way to go about doing this, since festival uses NAS, was to convert to
using the NAS version of mpg123.  I was hoping eventually to recompile
KDE/artsd with NAS support as well.

> FYI I've not had any problem with mpg123-nas when playing to my NCD HMX.
> I even had some success when running the player on an SS1+.

I just now checked from host A, and with a different audio card,
I have the same audio quality issues running mpg123-nas from a remote
host, to my workstation where nasd is running, and the same if I reverse
the client and server hosts.

And now, unfortunately, to add to the story...
With some .wav files from host A to my workstation, auplay also shows
the same poor audio quality issues...

So now I'm thinking it's nasd... am I outside the expected performance
parameters of nasd?

	Thanks.

	- Scott