Subject: Re: fstab questions
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Frank Knappe <omfk@anton.rz.tu-harburg.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/28/2003 15:00:27
On 28 Feb 2003, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Both are correct. I prefer to use the second. Since there is no
> "device" in practice what you put for the first column doesn't matter.

Okay.

> > The second question is related to the last two digit entries
> > for my windows partition and my floppy. Right now I have the follwong
> > entries:
> > /dev/wd0h       /mnt/pinboard   msdos   rw,noauto       1       3
> > /dev/fd0a       /mnt/floppy     msdos   rw,noauto       1       0
> >
> > Is this okay?
>
> Given that they are both noauto and thus will not be fsck'ed at all at
> boot time, it makes no difference at all what you put there. 0 0 is
> probably more customary, but...

I'll get an message about /dev/wd0h at boot time. And if I have the floopy
with 1 3 and there is no floppy inside, the system will complain about it
and it will switch to single uder mode. But I think I will switch to 0 0.

> > In the NetBSD guide there is a statement that for a often use of the
> > floppy the mtools package is helpful (No need for mounting). I Installed
> > the mtools package, but I can't use any command.
> > trinity# mdir
> > Drive 'A:' not supported
> > Cannot initialize 'A:
> >
> > What's missing?
>
> you need a .mtoolsrc that lists what drive is "a:". Read the man page
> for details, but something like:

I read the man page to mtools and there was only a hint to
/etc/mtools.conf. But I didn't find any documentation for this file.

> drive a:
>   file="/dev/rfd0a"
>
> will probably do the trick.

Thanks. I will try it.