Subject: Re: fstab questions
To: None <Knappe@tu-harburg.de>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/28/2003 08:47:24
Frank Knappe <omfk@para1.rz.tu-harburg.de> writes:
> I have some questions about some entries in /etc/fstab.
>
> trinity# less /usr/share/examples/fstab/fstab.md
> #       $NetBSD: fstab.md,v 1.1 2002/05/04 19:44:34 jdolecek Exp $
>
> /kern   /kern   kernfs  rw      0 0
> /proc   /proc   procfs  rw      0 0
>
> less /usr/share/examples/fstab/fstab.wd0.1
> #       $NetBSD: fstab.wd0.1,v 1.1 2002/05/04 19:44:36 jdolecek Exp $
> /dev/wd0a       /       ffs     rw              1 1
> #/dev/wd0b      none    swap    sw              0 0
> kernfs          /kern   kernfs  rw              0 0
> procfs          /proc   procfs  rw              0 0
>
> So what's the correct syntax for the kern and proc mounts?

Both are correct. I prefer to use the second. Since there is no
"device" in practice what you put for the first column doesn't matter.

> The second question is related to the last two digit entries
> for my windows partition and my floppy. Right now I have the follwong
> entries:
> /dev/wd0h       /mnt/pinboard   msdos   rw,noauto       1       3
> /dev/fd0a       /mnt/floppy     msdos   rw,noauto       1       0
>
> Is this okay?

Given that they are both noauto and thus will not be fsck'ed at all at
boot time, it makes no difference at all what you put there. 0 0 is
probably more customary, but...

> In the NetBSD guide there is a statement that for a often use of the
> floppy the mtools package is helpful (No need for mounting). I Installed
> the mtools package, but I can't use any command.
> trinity# mdir
> Drive 'A:' not supported
> Cannot initialize 'A:
>
> What's missing?

you need a .mtoolsrc that lists what drive is "a:". Read the man page
for details, but something like:

drive a:
  file="/dev/rfd0a"

will probably do the trick.