Subject: Re: reloading /etc/resolv.conf
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/27/2003 08:15:33
On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:48:33AM -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:

 > why stat it?  you wanna reload it?  i've been known to exploit the
 > fact that it won't get reloaded so that applications get different
 > sets of name servers.
 >
 > yes, there's chroot, but no, that's not really an answer for, say,
 > netscape.

I suppose you could always add support for passing an envronment variable
which pointed to the other name servers...

In any case, your use is almost certainly an unintended use, and there
are a great many situations where a nameserver might change, but the
mission-critical server which uses it CANNOT be rebooted.