Subject: Re: reloading /etc/resolv.conf
To: Alan Post <apost@recalcitrant.org>
From: Bill Squier <groo@old-ones.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/25/2003 20:55:18
On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:43:19AM +0000, Alan Post wrote:
> In article <296790779.1046204894@[192.168.187.5]>, Mark E. Perkins wrote:
> > Is there a way to get a reload of /etc/resolv.conf without rebooting?
> > What I really want to do is add a newly configured local nameserver to
> > the list, but would like to do it w/o rebooting.
>
> Just change it, and your machine will follow.  No need for reboot.

That's not true.  _PATH_RESCONF is only loaded at resolver library init time
(first use of a resolver function) and isn't reloaded after that.  Processes
using the libc resolver will not see changes to /etc/resolv.conf after its
initial reading of it.

--
Bill Squier (groo@old-ones.com)                          http://www.netbsd.org

        I know I don't deserve another chance, but this _is_ America,
        and as an American, aren't I entitled to one?  --Sideshow Bob.