Subject: Re: pkgsrc BRANCHES
To: Daniel Bolgheroni <dab__@uol.com.br>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/25/2003 18:55:56
On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:

> Where can I see the BRANCHES for pkgsrc?

If you're curious, "cvs log README |less +Gp" will show you all the
tags and branches. A "branch" is distinguished from a static tag by
the fact that it has a version number of the form N.N.N.N, and that
it has a ${branchname}-base static tag associated with it.

> I've update my pkgsrc with the following command:
>
> cvs checkout pkgsrc
>
> Is this the pkgsrc-current?

Yes, that's the head. It officially supports all formal releases of
NetBSD back to 1.5, plus lots of other platforms. Unless you have a
particular reason to track the branch (say, you're building for a
large number of hosts that can only be updated once or twice a year,
or you're trying to help us with the release), you should probably
just go with the head. Right now the head is pretty close to the
netbsd-1-6-1 branch, which is close to what will be in the pkgsrc.tgz
tarball to be released with NetBSD 1.6.1, so it's pretty stable, and
should be a good place to start.

Frederick