Subject: Re: using long usernames
To: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/25/2003 05:49:59
On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 09:59:04PM -0500, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> Would be REALLY nice.  OpenBSD bumped up a while ago (2 years?).
> It took some work to catch things that hardcoded 8 char arrays
> for user rather than using the right #define, but worth it.
>
> No reason I see for not going large - like 128 bytes (long double
> byte names may be desirable).

IMHO, to take it above 16, you need to make almost everything
accept indefinite length names - with the possible exception
of places where the value is being reported and it can be (reasonable)
sagely truncated - but something else can be used to get the full name.

> Is it (`grep LOGIN /usr/include/*.h`):
> /usr/include/limits.h:#define   _POSIX_LOGIN_NAME_MAX   9

No.  Not least because the limit is 16 characters (+ a NUL).

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk