Subject: Re: AWE64 - Device busy
To: joerch <helix@mayn.de>
From: None <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/23/2003 23:01:27

> > Now, to my understanding this is one of the cards that is supported by
> > NetBSD.  So, I went to /dev and ran "./MAKEDEV all" to enable /dev/audio
> > /dev/sound /dev/mixer.  Now, when I send anything to /dev/audio (ex: cat
> > test > /dev/audio) I get a 'Device busy' error and when I try to play
> > anything under KDE nothing happens.  I'm all out of ideas.  I've heard
> > that I may have to recompile the kernel in order to enable sound.
>
> One problem i always had with sound and kde was the soundserver.
> I always got the Device busy message while trying xmms or
> mpg123. I disabled the soundserver for kde and everything was
> fine.

You don't have to quit using the soundserver if direct access to the sound
device is required. Just set the "Autosuspend if idle for XX seconds" for the
soundserver in the Control Center to something less than 60 seconds. The
soundserver will then release the audio device after the required idle
time.

Hope this helps,

cheerio Berndt