Subject: Re: Trick to putting /var & /tmp on 2nd Drive?
To: Beaker (aka Jeff W) <beaker@myrealbox.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/20/2003 21:34:37
--17/8oYur5Y32USnW

hi,

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 12:24:51PM -0800, Beaker (aka Jeff W) wrote:
> It there a trick to mounting /var &/or /tmp on a second drive? I've
> got a sparc running 1.6 with the following in /etc/fstab:
>=20
> /dev/sd0a  /  ffs  rw  1 1
> /dev/sd0b  none  swap  sw  0 0
> /dev/sd1a  /tmp ffs  rw  1 2
> /dev/sd1b  none  swap  sw  0 0
> /dev/sd1g  /home ffs  rw  1 2
>=20
> All boots well but if I try to startx I get an error stating "can't
> mkdir /tmp/.X11-unix" (or something to that effect). Eliminating the
> /tmp entry in /etc/fstab fixes the problem. Maybe some sort of FS
> integrity thing?

make sure you have both /tmp and /var (it's there by default) listed in
critical_filesystems_local rc.conf variable so they are actually mounted
at the right time.

your /etc/rc.conf should have line:

  critical_filesystems_local=3D"/var /tmp"

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>                   --
--                  <salo@silcnet.org>                   --