Subject: Re: FreeBSD vs. NetBSD vs. OpenBSD
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/19/2003 01:06:24
from RacerX <racerx@myunixworld.com>:

> James - Very good!!! I'll take it from here with FreeBSD. If you know
> Linux
> and it's distros, then this will be simple.
> FreeBSD is the best of both worlds from NetBSD and OpenBSD - Think of
> FreeBSD as a RedHat or Mandrake of the Linux distros

> But by all means, visit the FreeBSD site for more info. And by all means,
> install it too! Stick with 4.7 for now. 5.0 is more of a devel version.

> Best regards,
>                  Chris

Although my view on which BSD is best is rather preliminary, I lean toward
NetBSD.  NetBSD and OpenBSD seem easier to install than FreeBSD.  FreeBSD
installer hung for me at the point of probing hardware devices, I think the
last one I tried was 4.7rc2.  I only downloaded the boot diskette images and
disk-writing program for DOS, rather than spend money on something that was
not going to install.  So now I might download boot diskette images for 5.0,
no going back to 4.x.