Subject: Re: Tips for configuring X on an odd sized screen
To: Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/17/2003 17:34:24

> XFree86 -configure probably did not correctly identify the electrical
> characteristics of your monitor and is using an incorrect ModeLine.
>
> Determine the range of horizontal and vertical sync rates your monitor
> is capable of handling.  That information should be in the manual which
> came with the monitor, or you probably can get the specs from the
> manufacturer's web site.  Then edit the XF86Config file to include
> those values:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>         VendorName   "CPQ"
>         ModelName    " P70"
>         HorizSync    30.0 - 92.0
>         VertRefresh  48.0 - 150.0
> EndSection

This is an LCD panel, they work somewhat differently and the
refresh rates are not that relevant.

I've run panels with very low refresh rates!  You get some surprising
results!  I've also dynamically changed the pixel clock (by a factor
of about 5) in order to stop the display DMA underrunning when doing
slow IO cycles on the same bus.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk