Subject: Re: Tips for configuring X on an odd sized screen
To: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
From: Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/17/2003 11:23:02
On Monday 17 February 2003 11:31 am, Chris Wareham wrote:

> It looks like it's trying to come up in 800x600 with 16bit colour
> depth. That's what I was hoping for anyway. The XFree 4 configuration
> file is much terser than the old version 3 one, and I'm not sure how
> X determines the available resolutions. Does X probe the capabilities
> of the hardware, and select the best resolution and depth? Or does it
> automagically work out what the display should support from the
> minimal data in the XFree config file?
>
> It would be nice if I could work out the exact species of C&T chipset
> the laptop has, but the HP/Compaq/Digital site hasn't got the manual
> for this particuar machine - just a PDF that when you download it
> says "Not done Yet". Is there any way of probing it? I can't open the
> machine up, as it's in a pretty inaccessible metal case (typical
> Digital over engineering!).

XFree86 -configure probably did not correctly identify the electrical=20
characteristics of your monitor and is using an incorrect ModeLine.

Determine the range of horizontal and vertical sync rates your monitor=20
is capable of handling.  That information should be in the manual which=20
came with the monitor, or you probably can get the specs from the=20
manufacturer's web site.  Then edit the XF86Config file to include=20
those values:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "CPQ"
        ModelName    " P70"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 92.0
        VertRefresh  48.0 - 150.0
EndSection

Do NOT use these values unless you are using an identical monitor!!