Subject: Re: Difference between BSDs
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Diana Eichert <deichert@wrench.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/14/2003 19:34:42
On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Richard Rauch wrote:
SNIP
> Split sets are nice if you start with a tool-deficient OS and cannot burn
> CD's (say, a CD-R/CD-RW challenged MS-WINDOWS PC).  I found it desirable
> because I could, for my first pass, install from floppies.  Having installed
> once from floppies, however, I have decided "Never again."  (Which is why
> I don't know if they still are available in split sets.)
>
> Downloading was not for me a real issue.  (Yes, I was using dial-up.)

oh wow, that brings back a painful memory.  My first FreeBSD install was
2.something in 95 or 96.  At the time I was also an IBM OS/2 resellor.  I
had a modem hanging off an OS/2 box that was connecting to the Internet on
demand usage.  I routed a /24 network through it.  The 1st install took
probably 1/2 a day across a 14.4k connection.

sorry for the trip down memory lane.