Subject: Re: Difference between BSDs
To: Gary Thorpe <gthorpe@myrealbox.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/14/2003 20:28:52
You mention that FreeBSD is easier to download because it comes in split
sets ("or used to", you say).  NetBSD used to do this, too.  (They still
might, actually.  I haven't looked...)

Split sets are nice if you start with a tool-deficient OS and cannot burn
CD's (say, a CD-R/CD-RW challenged MS-WINDOWS PC).  I found it desirable
because I could, for my first pass, install from floppies.  Having installed
once from floppies, however, I have decided "Never again."  (Which is why
I don't know if they still are available in split sets.)

Downloading was not for me a real issue.  (Yes, I was using dial-up.)

--
  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@olib.org