Subject: Re: Difference between BSDs
To: NetBSD <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Forrai <david.forrai@gemair.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/14/2003 11:49:02
When I decided to move to a free Unix clone, I wanted to try all before
committing to one.  I wanted to download (DL) from the net.  I did not
want to buy a commercial package because I didn't want to waste the
money if it didn't work out for me.  This is what I found when looking
about 3 years ago:

Linux - Most distributions are assembled by organizations with
commercial interests.  Their sites make it difficult to DL and install a
minimal system.  At best, they're geared toward DLing a 650 Mb CD image.
 This forces you to have a wide pipe and DL much software (SW) you
probably don't want.  Most encourage you purchase their commercial
package.  Although they usually have easy installers, I found
troubleshooting to be extremely difficult.  Searching for a solution to
a specific problem is like finding a needle in a haystack.

FreeBSD - Similar to most Linux distributions.

OpenBSD - Although this has improved since I first looked, I found no
information on how to DL and install a minimal system.  The CD image is
copyrighted and you were encouraged to purchase a preburned CD to
support development efforts.

NetBSD - The web site contained clear and concise information on how to
DL and install a minimal system.  The installer recognized all my
hardware and worked with it.  The package system allowed me to DL and
install only the SW I wanted (or needed to run what I wanted).