Subject: Re:
To: None <fernando@rxp.com>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/14/2003 14:13:13
fernando@rxp.com wrote:

> just a quick question. What's the difference between OpenBSD, FeeBSD,
> NetBSD, and any other *BSD that may be out there? And wich one should I be
> learning?

FreeBSD -

Aiming for maximum performance on the Intel x86 line of processors.
However, ports to the 64 bit Sparc and Alpha processors are now
available. Many FreeBSD advocates consider it the "fastest" BSD and the
"most optimised" for desktop use.

NetBSD -

Aiming for portability, and the "correctness" of the implementation.
NetBSD developers are likely to favour a more portable solution even if
it sacrifices some performance on specific platforms.

OpenBSD -

Aiming for security. This means that OpenBSD developers concentrate on
bug free, secure code at the possible expense of features and
performance.

Now that was me trying to be objective, now for the subjective stuff. I
favour NetBSD because I can understand a large proportion of the code,
it runs on my disparate hardware and the mailing lists are friendly. I
find it performs very well on my machines, and the features I like in
the other BSD's are rapidly integrated (systrace for instance).

Ultimately which one you "should" learn is down to a matter of taste.
I'm sure you will benefit from working with any of the BSD's. My only
note of caution is that the OpenBSD mailing lists can be a little
unfriendly to newcomers.

Chris
--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)