Subject: Re: need room on /
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/08/2003 18:10:39
Lesse, / is for booting, /usr is for data and binaries
that don't change, /var is for changable data (dhcp leases,
mail & print spools of all types, locate.db, etc).

/home (or whatever you call it) is for users to read/write their
hearts out.

If TeX needs fonts, that just screams for /usr/share/ or similar,
it's not dynamic, its stuff needed by the app to run, it's not
data.  It has no place in /var/.

My mail machines get a /var/mail/ partition so they don't squish
logs and logs don't affect them.  On high perm machines, /var/mail
(ok, /var/imap/) is a different spindle than /var/log/.

/usr is readonly.  You have to take an extra step to make
changes that should be well thought out an documented.

/ is big enough for a couple kernels and the usual stuff,
but not much more (50-60MB is fine here).  Been mounting
it r/o with an MFS /dev of late - no fsck, less risk of
accidentally changing something on a production machine
that needs to be documented first.  Sure, "mount -uw /"
changes it, but it's makes fewer casual changes.

Quoting Richard Rauch (rkr@olib.org):