Subject: Re: PR 17107: NFS kernel panic
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Post <apost@interwoven.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/08/2003 22:13:48
Thanks for replying.

In article <87isvuy9sy.fsf@snark.piermont.com>, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Alan Post <apost@interwoven.com> writes:
>> Any chance that PR 17107 will get fixed at some point?
>
> A bit of general advice: NetBSD is a volunteer project, so no one is
> being paid to look at particular trouble tickets. Therefore, your best
> chance if something is bothering you a lot is to be loud about it and
> to track down people who can help if you want something fixed quickly.

And so the trick is to be irritating enough to get people's attention
without being so irritating you end up in their killfiles?

> By the way, sadly, that's usually the case for vendor produced OSes,
> too, even though people are being paid to deal with tickets there.

I too have had terrible experiences reporting bugs to proprietary
software companies (much less getting them fixed!).  I use only free
software on my personal systems.

  Alan