Subject: Sparc-5 TPE port problems
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Beaker (aka Jeff W) <beaker@myrealbox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/08/2003 11:26:16
Greetings,
I recently acquired a Sparc 5 which has the following built-in network
ports:

(2) AUI/10base-5 ; mini-26 socket (looks like a high density DB26)
(1) UTP/10base-T ; RJ45 socket

I don't have anything that would fit the AUI ports so I haven't tested
those, but the UTP port I have tried repeatedly w/o success. The dmesg
indicated that the 1.6 kernel sees and recognizes the interface
(le0/ledma0) correctly, and "ping localhost" works fine, however pings
to the outside world just return "lost carrier" and "host down" error
messages.

The interface is configured like so:
/etc/ifconfig.le0
inet 192.168.2.11 netmask 0xffffff00 media UTP

and OpenBoot (Sparc's BIOS) has the default settings:

TPE_link_test?		true
local_mac_address?	false

Issuing ``test net'' in OpenBoot indicates that the UTP passes the
internal loopback test but fails the external loopback test. Setting
"TPE_link_test?" to "false" lets the UTP port pass the external lookback
test, but I think the result is meaningless.

So, I'm beginning to think this port is just dead unless there is
something I've overlooked. I did check at sunsolve and found the
following pinout for the TPE port:

PIN	SIG
------------
1	TPO+
2	TPO-
3	TPI+
6	TPI-

5,7,8 are unused.

I'm wondering if this is compatible with a modern std patch cable, or if
perhaps I need something else? I have been assuming that any 10/100
switchable hub or router would just work: maybe thats not the case?

Cheers,
Beaker