Subject: Re: Something odd about timezones
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/07/2003 16:34:51
> mmm, yes.  or the election problems in brasil last year that delayed
> their transition into daylight savings time.

Even the UK doesn't have a standing rule for when summertime starts
and ends.  Parliament agree every year - usually after the next year's
calendars have gone to print.

For many years it had been the '2am on the Sunday after the 4th Saturday'
(ie mostly the 4th Sunday), we had spotted that the (old) SYSV
timezone stuff would do that if you set it to 26hours on the 4th
Saturday.

Finally on the year when it did matter (4 years in 28), the government
changed the 'rules' because computers would get it wrong :-)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk