Subject: Re: Something odd about timezones
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Stefan Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/07/2003 00:48:56
--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

* Andrew Brown (atatat@atatdot.net) wrote:
> >I live in Italy, GMT+1.
> >I have a NetBSD machine (1.6 currently) whose kernel is set to have a 0=
=20
> >minutes west of GMT (west???). Hence, hardware clock is set to GMT.
> >I have a symlink for /etc/localtime to /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/GMT+1
> >
> >Now the problems:
> >1) "date" gives the time 2 hours behind localtime (as if I told it to us=
e=20
> >GMT-1)
>=20
> your local time is one hour ahead of gmt, so you need to substract one
> hour to calculate gmt.  use GMT-1.  i need to add five hours to
> calculate gmt (from north america), so i am at GMT+5.

No, thats incorrect. You are living in North America so you are living=20
in GMT-5, please see http://www.time.gov/ for USA=20

The timezones start with Zulu (0) in Greenwich and go west +1h til +12=20
from there on it is counted viceversa from -12 down to Zulu, so there are 25
timezone (Mike and Yankee are used for the geographically dateborder).

> >2) sending mails puts headers like this: (from a mail I sent today)
> >Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:00:18 -0100 (GMT+1)
> >Now, GMT time is still correct (13:00:18) but local time was 14:00:18, t=
he=20
> >time should be +0100 (GMT+1) not -0100 (GMT-1)
> >
> >I really don't understand what and why happens.
>=20
> i would suggest using one of more readable zones like Europe/Rome,
> Europe/Vatican, Europe/San_Marino, or Europe/Malta, depending on your
> taste.  otherwise, you should switch to Etc/GMT-1.

Sure not your mailprogram is the problem?
I used pine and now mutt with GMT+1 (Berlin) and I got no Problems.

--=20
There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudd=
en
shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing su=
ch
things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are
resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get
the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything. - Tsunetomo Yam=
amoto

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK--