Subject: Some kernel configuration question
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: sucho2 <sucho2@vt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/06/2003 18:06:36
Good evening,

What are the functionality for the file systems below:

file-system 	FDESC		# /dev/fd
file-system 	KERNFS		# /kern
file-system 	NULLFS		# loopback file system
file-system 	OVERLAY		# overlay file system
file-system 	PORTAL		# portal filesystem (still experimental)
file-system 	PROCFS		# /proc
file-system 	UMAPFS		# NULLFS + uid and gid remapping
file-system 	UNION		# union file system

Do netbsd kernel use these for performance related functions or I really don't

need these in my custom configuration?

Also, does having these enhance the web surfing speeds etc?

options 	PPP_BSDCOMP	# BSD-Compress compression support for PPP
options 	PPP_DEFLATE	# Deflate compression support for PPP
options 	PPP_FILTER	# Active filter support for PPP (requires bpf)
options 	PFIL_HOOKS	# pfil(9) packet filter hooks

My computer has direct connection to net and at the moment I only have inet
option enabled in kernel.  However, if having above improves the performance
or are needed for full kernel functionings, I may want to add them back.

Do we also need these options when you have sound card?

pcppi0		at isa?
sysbeep0	at pcppi?

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,