Subject: Re: NetBSD cmdline tools in W2K
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/06/2003 15:19:17
On Thursday 06 February 2003 03:01 pm, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> Microsoft's "Services for UNIX 3.0".
>
> It even supports case sensitive file names and file names such as
> "AUX", "LPT1", ...
>
> (It was scary firing up tcsh in an evaluation version, and having the
> .cshrc from my UNIX home directory (accessed via samba export) set
> things up :-)

That, BTW, was not something which Microsoft "innovated".  MSFT bought out
Interix to get the technology.  They needed it in order to convert HotMail
from FreeBSD to W2k.  For 99 bucks it may be a good deal for someone who has
to run Windows.

Their after-action report on the conversion of the back end of HotMail from
Solaris running on Sun machines to Windows on Wintel will be interesting, if
it ever comes out.