Subject: Re: Intellimouse Optical
To: Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/05/2003 12:43:44
 --- Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net> wrote: > On Wednesday 05
February 2003 10:14 am, Peter Seebach wrote:
> > In message <3E409062.2030707@mail.usask.ca>, Kevin Sookocheff
> writes:
> > >However, when I start up X touching the mouse sends it scattering
> all
> > >over the place and randomly clicking on anything.  I have a
> Microsoft
> > >Intellimouse Optical.  Is this mouse supported by NetBSD?  If so
> how can
> > >I get it to react properly.
> >
> > What version of NetBSD are you using?
> >
> > The PS/2 mouse protocol is an abomination beyond human
> comprehension, but
> > it *should* work, at least in -current.
>
> Not necessary or desirable to use PS/2 protocol.  This config works
> for MSFT
> IM Optical Wheel mouse connected to PS/2 port in 1.6 and 1.6N:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "wsmouse"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/wsmouse0"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection

For ALL mice under NetBSD: as long as there is wscons and wsmouse
support *working*, you can use the wsmouse protocol and device for X
(in fact, I think you have to use them in order to get it to work right
and not conflict with wsmouse). This is actually nice in that one
interface works with a large number of different devices. You would
only use other protocols if wsmouse/wscons support didn't exist for
your hardware.