Subject: Re: Cygwin Compile of NetBSD 1.6
To: Christos Dritsas <cgd@sonic.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/03/2003 14:08:25
Christos Dritsas <cgd@sonic.net> writes:
> Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >Okay, what specific problems happen when you try using cygwin the
> >exact same way? What errors happen? We can't debug without error
> >messages...
>
> Hi Perry, thanks for the offer on helping me debug. As I am a novice,
> it is appreciated very much. I'm really looking for more general
> answers to this issue. Everything I have read thus far, and responces
> from other mailing lists, have told me that this issue is not a simple
> one.

So far as I know, build.sh should be very self contained. It is
designed to allow you to build on any POSIX style machine making only
minimal assumptions about what you have. If you have a general
POSIX-like environment with an ANSI C compiler build.sh should for the
most part "just work", or the failures are likely to be very
straightforward ones.

> I would like to know if anyone has a general overview on the
> problems with attempting this, cross-compiling NetBSD 1.6 from
> Cygwin. Also, is anyone else attempting this now.

You're better off just trying it. That's the path to knowledge. :)

If it works, you've learned something. If it doesn't work, we can help
you make it work and fix the NetBSD tree so it does indeed work going
forward. Either way, it is a win.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com