Subject: NetBSD as level 3 switch / routing?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/02/2003 13:01:31
Maybe I got it all wrong, but...

On my gateway NetBSD box I have 3 NICs. One (sip0) is the uplink.

I want the other two (sip1 & sip2), to have the same ip (192.168.0.1)
and each to connect to a separate switch. All clients on these two
networks should see each other. Is this possible?

When I set
	sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
will NetBSD automatically forward packets from the sip1 net to sip2 if
a client on sip1 sends ip packets to a client on sip2? (Which is
sometimes misleadingly called level 3 switching)

Reason I ask: I have a few NICs that I don't use, so I thought: why not
put them into my NetBSD box and use it as a switch.

Thanks for any input,
Daniel