Subject: Re: labelling a linux disk
To: Alan Post <apost@interwoven.com>
From: Joel Wilsson <joelw@unix.se>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/31/2003 15:53:35
On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 05:37  am, Alan Post wrote:
> In article <20030130204827.GA650@antioche.eu.org>, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>> No, not really. Using a drive without a NetBSD native disklabel isn't
>> problem.
>
> Perhaps then the wd driver shouldn't log messages saying
> "wd1: no disk label"

And could we please not print out warnings about FreeBSD disklabels?
This (from my dmesg) isn't meaningful:
init: copying out path `/sbin/init' 11
WARNING: old BSD partition ID!
WARNING: old BSD partition ID!
WARNING: old BSD partition ID!
WARNING: old BSD partition ID!
wsdisplay0: screen 1 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 2 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 3 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 4 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
WARNING: old BSD partition ID!
WARNING: old BSD partition ID!
WARNING: old BSD partition ID!
WARNING: old BSD partition ID!

I don't see the point of that warning. Perhaps it was useful years
ago when NetBSD changed partition ID, but since FreeBSD didn't, the
kernel shouldn't warn about it.

Should I post a PR about this, or should it be there (if so, why)?

//joelw