Subject: Re: labelling a linux disk
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Post <apost@interwoven.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/31/2003 04:37:02
In article <20030130204827.GA650@antioche.eu.org>, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 04:14:51AM +0000, Alan Post wrote:
>>
>> I have an IDE HD that a friend formatted using RHL.  It's
>> got lots of data on it that I'd rather not lose, and which
>> I'm not in a position to back up.
>>
>> I am using the NetBSD ext2fs support to use the disk.  The
>> wd driver, though, keeps complaining that the disk has no
>> disklabel.  The disk *does* have a partition table that
>> the kernel is picking up just fine.  In fact, I can mount
>> and use the drive with no problem.  If I add it to fstab,
>> however, at reboot the system gets very unhappy with the
>> drive and drops into single-user mode.
>>
>> So I figure that I need to add a label.
>
> No, not really. Using a drive without a NetBSD native disklabel isn't a
> problem.

Perhaps then the wd driver shouldn't log messages saying
"wd1: no disk label"

In any case, the trouble turned out to be some of the extfs "options" added
to ext2fs in the 2.4 Linux kernel.  Making a no-option file system (which
the man page said would be compatible with 2.2 Linux kernel systems) works
just fine.

If I were more clever than I am, I would have written down the options which
were enabled on the ext2fs fs when NetBSD was having troubles with it.

  Alan