Subject: Re: labelling a linux disk
To: Alan Post <apost@interwoven.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/30/2003 21:48:27
On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 04:14:51AM +0000, Alan Post wrote:

> I have an IDE HD that a friend formatted using RHL.  It's
> got lots of data on it that I'd rather not lose, and which
> I'm not in a position to back up.
>
> I am using the NetBSD ext2fs support to use the disk.  The
> wd driver, though, keeps complaining that the disk has no
> disklabel.  The disk *does* have a partition table that
> the kernel is picking up just fine.  In fact, I can mount
> and use the drive with no problem.  If I add it to fstab,
> however, at reboot the system gets very unhappy with the
> drive and drops into single-user mode.
>
> So I figure that I need to add a label.

No, not really. Using a drive without a NetBSD native disklabel isn't a
problem.

What does your fstab line looks like ?

> Do I have to say "y" to the second question?  I don't
> want to erase the contents of the disk.

You'd loose your linux partition table if your say y
Not a problem for NetBSD, it'll continue to see the disk just fine,
but you would probably not be able to mount it from linux any more ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>