Subject: Re: Computer reboots or freezes while compiling current.
To: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
From: S. N. Cho <sucho2@vt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/27/2003 17:15:20
Gary Thorpe wrote:

>Is the machine a laptop? Does it use a PIII processor? It may be heat
>related....
>
>Just asking because laptops will freeze when they start to overheat and
>PIII's also have this behaviour I believe.
>
> --- "S. N. Cho" <sucho2@vt.edu> wrote: > Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>>>Can you tell us what error it prints when it panics? That would help

>>>lot...
>>>
>>>Perry
>>>

>>Hi,
>>
>>It doesn't print out any errors for computer just locks up and
>>freezes.
>> The freezing happens while pretty much in the building process.
>> Sometimes it freezes after 1 hour into building, sometimes when the
>>building is just about done etc.  And when the system freezes, I have
>>turn to power off and reboot again.  Never had this problem with
>>1.5x.
>> Only with 1.6.  It seems like that locking (freezing) only happens
>>when
>>I am either compiling KDE or building NetBSD from source.  I don't
>>experience the problem when compiling kernel or building packages
>>from
>>pkgsrc (except KDE, of course).  I am thinking 1.6 is running out of
>>resource or something while compiling very big sources (i.e., those
>>that
>>require alot of resources).  Thank you.
>>

>>Yours sincerely,
>>Sung N. Cho,
>>Sunday, Jan. 26, 2003.

>Post your free ad now! http://personals.yahoo.ca

Hello,

Yes, it is a laptop.  But Celeron 500Mhz.  I tried recompiling with ddb
enabled kernel in bare console as Mr. Perry E. Metzger has recommended.
 Unfortunately, it ran for about 5 hours (down to building boot floppies
for the release) and computer just froze there!  This has been the case
since I have started using 1.6.  Once it freezes, I can't do
ctrl+alt+esc since nothing functions!  I have to reboot by turning power
off.  Not sure if it is completely heat related (although I cannot rule
that out completely!) for it builds all the gnu stuff, usr.bin,
usr.sbin.... almost everything.  After all, it ran for about 5 hours
building the current!  Don't recall having these freeze problems when
using 1.5x.  The freeze happens whenever the kernel runs "clean"
command.  I had similar problem when I tried simultaneously running 3
different "make CLEANDEPENDS=yes clean" while building packages from
pkgsrc under 3 different terminals under X.  When the building current
froze, it was running "rm -rf ... cleandir etc....." and this was about
when building release was 99%
 finished!  It happened while building boot floppies.

For now, I will retire myself from any building of NetBSD-current and
just wait for 1.6.1 release.  Maybe 1.6.x is becoming too complex for
my, now almost antique, system to handle.  Thank you for all the inputs.

Yours sincerely,
S. N. Cho,
Monday, Jan. 27, 2003.