Subject: Re: i386 ISO boots now but...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/2003 18:16:44
On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 16:53:16 -0600, "J.D. Bronson" <jeff@xpec.com> wrote:
> At 04:45 PM 1/26/2003, dieter wrote:
>
> > > But with a new scsi drive, netbsd cannot seem to figure out the
> > > disk's geometry.....
> >
> >This is in the FAQ for the i386 port.
> >http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/faq.html#determining_geometry
>
> This is all fine, but I dont have a floppy drive. :(
> Since this a scsi drive, I dont even have access to old DOS.

I had a similar problem with a P60 a few years back.  Its boot drive was
SCSI, and I couldn't figure out a way to boot NetBSD with it.  The
solution was to use NT's fdisk, after which NetBSD overwrote the NT
installation and booted successfully.

According to the FAQ, NetBSD reads the MBR (if extant) to determine the
geometry.  That would explain my solution and your problem.  If FreeBSD
writes a good MBR, that would seem a way out.  :/

HTH.

--jkl