Subject: Re: Protecting telnet, w/o modifying client or server.
To: None <collver1@attbi.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/2003 05:05:28
On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 08:11:45PM -0800, collver1@attbi.com wrote:
> > I think you want SSh version 1. It will work like telnet, but
> > is encrypted as SSh. Windoze folks can do SSh version 1 by
> > a program called TeraTerm with an add-on called ttssh.
>
> I recommend putty over teraterm for these reasons:

For port forwarding, you don't need these two.  If (as the first
comment suggests) one wants to restrict oneself to SSH protocol 1,
there's a straight port of ssh 1.11 (or 1.14, or whatever) floating
around on MS OS.  It's a little hard to find, but it's out there.
I found some info on this about 2 years ago when trying to sort out
how to get the MS OS to use CVS over an ssh connection.  (I probably
asked on this list and got the URL reference.  (^&)

OpenSSH (more or less current) runs under Cygwin.  I tested this about
a month ago when setting up a CVS server to let my brother and I
set up some groundwork for collaboration.

Since it is entirely the point to *not* use ssh as the MUD client,
the only question is how well it supports wrapping other TCP connections
in a protective layer.

putty and teraterm may work just as well.  But if ssh ends up being the best
way to go (stunnel looks more promsing at the moment), then Cygwin's
OpenSSH would let one write a single set of instructions for everyone.
(Possibly excepting Mac OS X.  I seem to recall not being able to find
an ssh installed there---though surely it should be an easy port...)

Thanks for the comments, though.  (^&

--
  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@olib.org