Subject: Re: installboot complains about /dev/sd1a not being a regular file
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: leam <leam@reuel.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/25/2003 08:04:54
Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 12:02:55AM -0500, leam wrote:
> > I'm trying to make the second disk in a Sparc Ultra-1 a NetBSD disk. The
> > first disk already is, but I'm unable to run installboot on the second
> > disk. I get:
> >
> >   bsdboy# installboot /usr/mdec/bootblk /dev/sd1a
> >   installboot: Reading block 16 in `/usr/mdec/bootblk': short read
> >   installboot: `/dev/sd1a' must be a regular file: Undefined error: 0
>
> You probably want:
> You're missing something, installboot on sparc takes 3 arguments.
> You also need to copy the boot prog to the /dev/sd1a filesystem
> first.
> But better use /usr/mdec/binstall, it's a script wich will hide the
> details:
> ./binstall ffs /dev/sd1a
>
> --
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
>      NetBSD: 24 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference
> --

A-HA!

(NOTE: I was up till past midnight working on this, and got up before 6
am. If I'm less than my usual coherent, charming self, please forgive
me.  :)

Manuel;

Thanks for the push, it was the direction I needed to go. Although the
installboot help doesn't put it this way, the resolution was:

  1. /dev/sd1a had to be unmounted.

  2. installboot -m sparc64 -t ffs /dev/rsd1a bootblk primary

binstall didn't work for me for two reasons. The first is that I'm
trying to understand and script the bootblk process so that I can port a
script from Solaris to bsd. I keep two drives with the same geometry in
the system, but one is always off-line. Every week, or before a major
change, I have a script that will lay out the active disk data onto the
off-line disk, edit the (v)fstab, and then do the bootblk. That way if
the active disk dies, or if I do a major "oops!", I can boot off the
alternate and restore backwards. It cuts down on disk space, but saves
me from having to re-install, or worry about having to re-install.

The other reason is that binstall seemed to want to be in single user
mode. The monitor to that server is on the bottom shelf in my closet. I
much prefer the desk in my home office; cozier chair and a place to put
my coffee cup!

Again, Thanks! I've gotten it to work, and now I just need to do it
backwards to fix the first disk.

ciao!

leam
--

"Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that held its ground."
--bumper sticker