Subject: Re: PCI 802.11b w/NetBSD 1.6
To: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/24/2003 13:08:16
On 24 Jan 2003 22:10:32 GMT
MLH <MLH@goathill.org> wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2003 23:15:01 -0600, Harry Waddell wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone recommend a good PCI 802.11b card for use with NetBSD 1.6?
> >> Just as a client, not as an access point.
> >
> > I took the easy route and paid extra for a "real lucent gold card" from
> > Avaya.
>
> Has anyone tried any of the USB wireless clients?
>
> http://www.steinkuehler.de/waveLAN_usb_client.htm
> http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/avaya/avaya_usb.php
>
> These are supposed still wavelan wireless. Would they use wi or
> something else?

I don't believe that any usb 802.11 devices are supported. For all the
ifconfig options for 802.11 to work, ideally it would have to present the
same features as a wi device. man -k usb didn't yield anything, but I often
find it useful just to grep from the files in
/sys/dev/{isa,pci,usb,etc...}/ , or in this case just do

bash-2.05b#  ls -l /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/*wi*
ls: /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/*wi*: No such file or directory

to see if something may be supported. There is probably a geocrawler archive
of the usb-bsd@eleetbsd.org mailling list that may have additional
information. If Lennart Augusston reads this list, he can answer this
question.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing

"The louder he spoke of his honor the faster we counted our spoons." - Ralph
Waldo Emerson