Subject: Re: How to analyse core file
To: aridaman kaushik <kaushik_ari@postmark.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/23/2003 11:26:43
aridaman kaushik <kaushik_ari@postmark.net> writes:
> Hi all,
>     I have a doubt regarding core file. The binary file is always in
> core format. One way to analyse the core file is using gdb. But with
> Gdb, code should be compiled with -g option which takes huge memeory
> for big modules.
>
> Is there any way to analyse the core dump file.

What do you mean by "analyse". If you want to determine where the
program crashed, you need to use a debugger, and you need symbol
tables or else the debugger can't work.

However, if, for example, you just wanted to know the length of the
core file, or how many one bits there were in it, or what have you,
I'm sure you could come up with another way.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com