Subject: CVS, how to change commit handling.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/22/2003 00:39:52
I couldn't find this question answered on the CVS home page, but I
thought that I'd ask here, since NetBSD ships with CVS and the developers
use it.  (^&

I'd like to cause the *output* of a "cvs diff" to appear as part of
the template for a "cvs commit".

When I used RCS experimentally, I found that putting RCS in a wrapper
script to do just this was quite helpful in reminding me about some
of the changes that I'd made---especially if I started in on some
change, then let the code grow a little cold while I did something else.

Yes, I could manually do "cvs diff" first.  But one forgets to do that,
and it's a little inconvenient to do that *after* you've started a
commit.  (Not impossible, but...)

Also, I'd like CVS-using tools to pick up on it automatically.  (E.g.,
I'm collaborating with my brother, who is using Cygwin for ssh.  He
may end up using a GUI based CVS front-end, though.  For that matter,
so might I, under NetBSD.)  So using my own commands (shell scripts)
for simplified CVS wrappers may not work so well.

This is really a "policy" matter that I'd like the CVS server to
provide.  So far, I can't see any way of doing it other than tweaking
the CVS code.  Any suggestions?  (I tried "commitinfo", hoping that
the *output* of the command would get merged into the logfile
template.  Alas, this is not the case it seems...)

(The CVS docs are a little unclear about what (if anything) happens to
the output of commands run during commit, say.  Though "commitinfo" commands
appear to have their output discarded.  I've also dipped into the
CVS source code, but have yet to see what I'm looking for.)

--
  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@olib.org