Subject: Re: reasonable details for X-applications...
To: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@chemi.muni.cz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/21/2003 13:06:14
On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

> hi, thanks for plenty of useful information...
>
> some more questions...
>
> > The app-defaults file for "aterm" would be
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Aterm, but no, that doesn't exist.
> > Since it's an "xterm" replacement, defaults are drawn from
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/app-defaults/XTerm, that is, except for the ones that
> > are compiled in.
> i can probably go through the source to get the info about the defaults
> compiled in - i've never done nothing like this before - what should i look
> for?

It looks like all the magic is in src/xdefaults.c.

> > The big secret is... the name for the XENVIRONMENT file on NetBSD is
> > ${HOME}/.Xdefaults-$(hostname) (expanded).
> i'm not sure whether i got this ok - does this mean that the "defaults" file
> on my computer (name snail :o)) would have the name $HOME/.Xdefaults-snail?
> but i got the .Xdefaults file from one of my colleagues, put it to my home
> and it works (affects all newly ran [xa]terms...

Hmm. It looks like the filename is hard-coded into src/xdefaults.c in
aterm's source. I haven't investigated why that works for "xterm".
Perhaps the NetBSD mod was dropped with the import of XFree86 4.

> > by the way, is there any possibility to get the name of the font used
> > from the running [xa]term?
> >You mean "fonts".
> > appres XTerm | grep 'font.*:'
> just to make it clear - i like the font used (its definition is probably
> compiled in, because it's different from the one that xterm uses), but i'd
> like to make it bigger, because it's quite small and hard to read on my
> screen (running at 1600x1200). i don't know the font name, family and
> "current" size - i'll try the appres aterm | ... as you advised but i'm not
> sure whether i'll get the desired info... i do ask, because i cannot do the
> test now - i don't have access to my netbsd computer now - i'll try
> tomorrow...

You do know that <Control><Button3> in "xterm" opens up a font menu?
If one of the options there works better for you, you can just change
the default.

Myself, I wouldn't run at 1600x1200 if it makes the fonts too hard to
read, as the xterm isn't then your only problem. On my 17'' monitor, I
usually run at 800x600 with a 1280x1024 virtual screen, and to view
windows that really don't fit (like graphics), I switch resolutions.

Frederick